This page is to ensure that Anaesthetic trainees are aware of the specific requirements and resources available for their Annual Review of Competency Progression (ARCP). Information and guidance on the ARCP process can be found on our Accreditation and Revalidation pages and should be used in conjunction with this page.
Specific Anaesthesia evidence and documents required for ARCP are in addition to the documents stated on the Accreditation and Revalidation pages
All trainees within the anaesthetic and ICM training programmes are required to undertake a yearly assessment of their progress.
In the Wessex School of Anaesthesia each ARCP is carried out in absentia with a small specialty-based panel. The process is not an assessment of the individual but an assessment of the submitted evidence that is presented by the doctor. Trainees are given at least six weeks’ notice to provide the necessary documentation for the review.
In addition to the ARCP, Trainees will be invited to an Education Review Meeting that may or may not be held on the same day as the ARCP. It provides an opportunity for them to provide comments on their training to date, as well as reviewing progress/competences and identifying specific training needs.
Wessex School of Anaesthesia ARCP requirements
These items must be on the Lifelong Learning Platform (LLP) and assigned to the ARCP before the deadline date (eight days before the ARCP). Trainees will not be ‘chased’ to provide this documentation by the required date and should be aware that failure to do so can result in an unsatisfactory outcome being awarded.
Evidence required for review at ARCP
The following evidence is essential, without which an Outcome 1 cannot be awarded.
- Educational Supervisor Structured Report (ESSR) – must be signed by ES and CT. Summary of Work Place Based Assessment (WPBAs) and progression with units of training, appropriate for grade and stage of training. An ESSR for each hospital rotation in the assessed period is required.
- Logbook- annualised (or report since last ARCP) in RCOA summary format as per LLP
- Multi source Feedback (MSF) (most trainees achieve response rate between 15-20 – minimum of 12 required)
- Reflections on practice / participation in discussions and investigations around Serious untoward incident (SUI)
- Exam evidence
- Evidence of absence (other than annual / study leave)
- Form R
Progression with training will also be assessed by reviewing evidence of other sorts of experience. This evidence not only assesses progression in training, but also performance in training. It is important evidence for revalidation and for annual educational review.
- CV~Audit /QI project work
- Annualised reflection on the year of training
- GMC survey / engagement with systems of quality management and improvement in clinical work and training
- Please complete and upload to your portfolio the Educational Review & Development Plan (Word)
- Upload and assign previous Educational Review and Development Plan
- Educational Supervisor’s report and assessments
- Trainee’s final report.
- Reflection of work outside of training (only required if Trainee has undertaken any clinical work whilst out of programme)
For Trainees completing levels of training the following needs to be submitted to the Training Programme Director
- Core Level Training Certificate signed by ES or CT
- Intermediate Level Training Certificate Signed by ES or CT
- Notification of Completion of Training Form (all dates entered)