HEE Wessex is committed to supporting medical and dental trainees in undertaking study leave activities to achieve their specialty curriculum and support professional development.
Study leave budget will cover:
- Courses/education activities to support trainees to achieve the curriculum
- Courses to help trainees prepare for postgraduate exams
- Discretionary courses that add value to trainees individually and support the wider system
Examples of courses that ‘add value’ to the individual trainee are:
- Quality improvement workshops
- Medical or leadership/management courses
- Healthcare technology and innovation workshops
- Presenting at scientific conferences (based in the UK)
Study leave budgets do not cover:
- Royal College membership and e-portfolio fees
- Postgraduate exam fees
- Any statutory or mandatory training required to fulfil your clinical role (this should be provided by your NHS Trust)
Applying for study leave in Wessex
- You should discuss any study leave courses/activities with your Educational Supervisor in advance of your application.
- All applications for study leave must be made in advance to your employing Trust.
- Approval for the time off for study leave must be approved by your Rota Coordinator (or equivalent).
- Applications for study leave should be submitted at least 6 weeks before the study leave event. Retrospective applications will not be processed or paid.
- You must apply for your study leave using the online ‘Intrepid Leave Manager’ system.
- Any study leave activity that exceeds £750.00, or any event outside of the UK (international study leave) will need the approval of the Wessex Deanery. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with details of the activity, a breakdown of the costs and confirmation of the approval from your Educational Supervisor/Training Programme Director.
- It is advised that you book the study leave activity once the online approval process has been completed (including Deanery level approval for requests over £750.00 or international study leave). If you pay for an activity before the approval process is complete, and the request is declined, you will not be reimbursed for any costs incurred.
- You can reclaim any study leave expenses from your employing Trust after you have attended the event, in accordance with their local process. Please read the study leave travel and subsistence guide.
- Claims must be submitted no later than 3 months after the event, in line with NHS terms and conditions for staff expenses. Any claims received after this deadline will not be paid.
Applications for study leave should be submitted using the Intrepid Online Leave Manager system and trainees should follow the local process in their employing trust for applying for educational approval and time for off for study leave activities.
Users will require a login and password for Intrepid. If you do not have a login and password, or have forgotten it, please email IMSupport.South@hee.nhs.uk
Note: only verified Wessex trainees will be given a login for this system.
Study leave during the Covid-19 pandemic
If your approved study leave event has been cancelled due to the COVID-19 pandemic you must endeavour to obtain a refund for any expenses that have been incurred. Event providers (course/conference organisers) should refund event fees in full, credit card or travel insurance companies may also compensate for cancelled travel arrangements, and some hotels allow cancellations without incurring a fee.
If, despite reasonable attempts you are unable to obtain a refund, any outstanding expenses will be honoured from the Study Leave budget. Please submit your claim to your trust via your usual local process. Evidence that you have made good efforts to secure refunds (emails/letters from event organisers/credit card and travel insurance companies/hotels) must be provided in support of your claim.
If you have any questions about study leave during this period please email email@example.com