This five-year training programme is suitable for trainees aiming towards a CCT in Urology. It encompasses training in general urology, uro-oncology (including robotic and laproscopic surgery), andrology, female urology, complex stone surgery, neuro-urology and paediatric urology. It is based around five hospitals in Wessex – Bournemouth, Portsmouth, Southampton, Salisbury and Winchester.
The five hospitals each offer a sub-specialty, and most trainees will spend one year at each site. Several previous and current trainees are undertaking fellowships abroad. The region has had excellent results at the FRCS (Urol) since the exams inception and two consultants are examiners. Previous trainees have been appointed both locally and to major teaching hospitals nationally.
Wessex offers training in the following sub-specialties:
- General elective and emergency urology
- Prostate Cancer
- Renal cancer, minimally invasive surgery, cryotherapy and radiofrequency ablation (RFA) and major resections with vascular involvement
- Testes cancer with retroperitoneal lymph node dissection (RPLND)
- Dedicated andrology team
- Complex female /urogynaecology
- Complex stone surgery
- Spinal injuries and neuro-urology (with reconstruction at two sites)
- Paediatric Urology (at Southampton for six months)
- Urological trauma (at all sites)