This six-year training programme is suitable for trainees who are aiming towards a CCT in General Surgery within Wessex (Hampshire and Isle of Wight, South Wiltshire and East Dorset). It encompasses colorectal, UGI (hepatobiliary/oesophagogastric), breast, transplant and vascular surgery.
Tertiary services include liver, pseudomyxoma, pancreatic, and OG surgery. Trainees have the opportunity to experience paediatric surgery across the region, and also to carry out a six-month secondment within the paediatric surgery regional unit in Southampton, if they choose to.
Study and training
Wessex offers training in the following specialties:
- Breast – Oncoplastic and screening centres
- Colorectal – opportunities for laparoscopic colorectal training at all centres across Wessex
- Hepatobiliary – two tertiary referral liver centres are located in Southampton and Basingstoke
- Oesophagogastric – three resectional centres in the region, as well as bariatric training
- Vascular/transplant – training in open and endovascular techniques, with one centre offering transplant experience
University Hospital Southampton is a Major Trauma Centre and all trainees form part of the trauma team whilst on-call.
Local and regional teaching
- HEE Wessex induction for all new trainees
- An intermediate years monthly teaching programme (second Friday of each month)
- Final FRCS preparation course
- FRCS examination mock