Foundation doctor representation is a key element in the development and monitoring of the foundation programme. In Wessex there are foundation doctor reps based at each hospital training site who represent their colleagues at a local level. In addition, there are two F1 and two F2 Wessex foundation school reps who represent all foundation doctors in Wessex at regional and national level.
At the beginning of each training year foundation representatives will be appointed at each Wessex foundation training site (Bournemouth, Basingstoke, Dorchester, Isle of Wight, Jersey, Kassel, Poole, Portsmouth, Salisbury, Southampton, Winchester) by the Foundation Programme Director and local education team. Wessex foundation school will conduct a separate appointment process for Wessex foundation school reps.
To apply to be a rep at your hospital – contact your foundation programme director via your education centre.
To apply to be Wessex F1 lead rep for 2023 – 2024 – apply here. Application deadline 24 August 2023. Online interviews 4 and 6 September 2023.
Roles and Responsibilities
The primary role of a foundation representative is to seek, collate and report the opinions of foundation doctors within Wessex.
Foundation Representatives (based at each hospital)
- Proactively seek the views of foundation doctors and others about foundation training at their organisation.
- Liaise with the other representatives to share information and opinions relating to the operation of the foundation programme.
- Develop a communication network by appropriate means (such as email and group chat) to share information and views.
- Facilitate effective two-way communication between foundation doctors, their local foundation team and the foundation school.
- Attend the F1 welcome event in March to represent their organisation.
- Participate in foundation school quality visits if required.
Foundation School Representatives (based at Wessex regional level)
In addition to the above, the lead representatives will:
- Collate and present the views of foundation doctors across Wessex.
- Actively participate in Wessex foundation school committee meetings (twice annually).
- Represent Wessex foundation school at national meetings including the UKFPO foundation doctors advisory board (FDAB). Date of next FDAB meeting 2 November 2023 (online).
- Only one F1 and one F2 representative will be appointed at each training location. Two F1 and two F2 lead Wessex reps will also be appointed. Locally based reps may also apply to be regional lead rep if they wish.
- The posts are unpaid, honorary roles and are accountable to the foundation programme director and head of foundation school.
- By accepting the role foundation representative you are agreeing to share your contact information (email address and mobile number) with the school and other representatives in Wessex.
- NHS England will reimburse travel expenses for representatives who are required to travel to national or local meetings. Contact the school for further information.
Updated August 2023