Wessex Lead Reps (2022 – 2023)
- Dr Sarah Elliott (F1, Salisbury)
- Dr Rhiannon May (F1, Southampton)
- Dr Jessica Dowle (F2, Portsmouth)
- Dr Ella Rayment (F2, Isle of Wight)
Foundation doctor representation is a key element in the development and monitoring of the foundation programme.
At the beginning of each new F1 training year Wessex foundation school will appoint an F1 representative at each Wessex foundation training site (Bournemouth, Basingstoke, Dorchester, Isle of Wight, Jersey, Kassel, Poole, Portsmouth, Salisbury, Southampton, Winchester). Of this group, two F1s will be selected to become lead representatives for Wessex.
To build continuity, foundation doctors will hold this role for their entire foundation training in Wessex. Representatives may choose to step down at the end of F1. If a foundation doctor moves to a different training site for F2, they must relinquish the representative role. If a foundation doctor gives up their role at the end of F1, the foundation school and training organisation will follow the application process below to appoint a new F2 representative for the year.
Roles and Responsibilities
The primary role of a foundation representative is to seek, collate and report the opinions of foundation doctors within Wessex.
- Proactively seek the views of foundation doctors and others about foundation training at their organisation.
- Liaise with the other representatives to share information and opinions relating to the operation of the foundation programme.
- Develop a communication network by appropriate means (such as email and group chat) to share information and views.
- Facilitate effective two-way communication between foundation doctors, their local foundation team and the foundation school.
- Attend the F1 welcome event in March to represent their organisation.
- Participate in foundation school quality visits if required.
Lead Foundation Representatives
In addition to the above, the lead representatives will:
- Collate and present the views of foundation doctors at their organisation and across Wessex.
- Actively participate in Wessex foundation school committee meetings (twice annually).
- Represent Wessex foundation school at national meetings including the UKFPO foundation doctors advisory board (FDAB).
Application Process 2022
At the start of the training year the school will notify foundation doctors in Wessex of the application process and deadline. Those expressing an interest should be foundation doctors undertaking a recognised two-year foundation training programme.
Foundation doctors who wish to apply for the role should complete the online application form above. The foundation programme director will review applications and appoint one F1 representative (and one F2 representative if this position is vacant).
Foundation programme directors will appoint the representatives at each training location and the head of Wessex foundation school will appoint lead representatives if they have expressed an interest to be considered for his role on the application form.
- Only one F1 and one F2 representative will be appointed at each training location.
- Representatives will hold their posts for the entire two years of their foundation training in Wessex (unless they step down at the end of F1).
- The posts are unpaid, honorary roles and are accountable to the head of foundation school and the foundation programme director.
- By accepting the role foundation representative you are agreeing to share your contact information (email address and mobile number) with the school and other representatives in Wessex.
- Health Education England will reimburse travel expenses for representatives who are required to travel to national or local meetings. Contact the school for further information.
|3 October 2022, 10:00-12:00||Wessex Foundation Representatives Meeting||Sycamore, Southern House (lunch available after meeting)||All reps to attend|
|3 November 2022||Foundation Doctors Advisory Board||Online (organised by UKFPO)||Lead reps to attend|
|2 December 2022, 10:00-12:00||Foundation School Committee Meeting||Sycamore, Southern House (lunch available after meeting)||Lead reps to attend|
|26 April 2023, 14:00-16:00||Wessex Foundation Representatives Meeting||Oak & Beech, Southern House (lunch available from 13:00)||All reps to attend|
|10 May 2023, 10:00-12:00||Foundation School Committee Meeting||Sycamore, Southern House (lunch available after meeting)||Lead reps to attend|
Updated September 2022