GMC supervisor recognition lasts for five years, from the date the supervisor completed their training.
In the year before your recognition expires, you will receive a reminder at 1 year, 6 months, 3 months and 1 month requesting you to download and complete the HEE Wessex Renewal Form for Educational and Named Clinical Supervisors.
DMEs and Heads of School will be advised of Supervisors who have not renewed at the 3 and 1 month reminder.
It is your responsibility to ensure that your completed form is signed by your appraiser and then returned to firstname.lastname@example.org. The Quality Team will confirm recognition for a further five years and will update both the HEE Wessex and GMC registers.
For ongoing recognition, Educational, Named Clinical and Project Supervisors must:
1. Discuss the role of Educational and/or Named Clinical Supervisor at each annual appraisal as part of your full scope of practice.
2. Complete a minimum of 10 hours of CPD over the five-year cycle, with reflections. A range of development courses are available in Wessex. However, you can undertake any CPD that you and your appraiser both consider to be appropriate. Please refer to the ES-CS reaccreditation example CPD log for further guidance.
3. For Educational Supervisors only, have received written feedback, on at least one ES ARCP report in a five-year cycle and discussed with written reflections at your annual appraisal. (If you have not written an ARCP report discuss and document this at your appraisal as to the reasons).
It is the supervisor’s responsibility to:
- Inform the Quality team of any delay in submitting the renewal form before the recognition date and
- Inform the Quality team as and when you move organisation.
If you are an Educational Supervisor working with dentists in postgraduate training, please could you copy in Dr Jane.Powell@hee.nhs.uk Associate Postgraduate Dental Dean and Dental.TV@hee.nhs.uk when submitting your completed form to the Quality Team.
Support throughout the process
If you have any questions, please contact the quality team at email@example.com.