“Does your heart sink at the thought of negotiating again?”
“Would you like to know how to get your needs met more often – rather than putting up with losing out?”
Negotiation is a necessary skill to apply during day-to-day communication with patients and colleagues.
This interactive masterclass provides participants with the opportunity to identify how highly effective negotiators behave, discuss, practice and gain feedback on relevant example issues and scenarios, and help them manage the whole negotiation process successfully, by presenting their case effectively and avoid negotiating pitfalls.
- Duration: 1 day
- Delivery: Face-to-face
- Methods: Discussions and small group work.
- Pre-event preparation: Identify a current work issue which would be improved by applying negotiation skills. The issue will be worked on during the afternoon session.
- Post-event work: None
Please click the links below for more information about this masterclass:
Who can attend
– Wessex Training grade doctors (FY1+)
– Wessex SAS/Specialty doctors
– Wessex AHPs and senior nurses may attend as fee payers if places are available
If you do not meet the target audience criteria but have additional experience that you feel would be appropriate for you to attend this course, please contact us.
Aims and learning outcomes
To help participants to:
– Discover preferred negotiating styles that are most appropriate in different circumstances
– Understand people’s motivation and learn to enjoy the whole process!
Having attended this masterclass, delegates will:
– Understand what it means to be an effective negotiator
– Be able to manage the whole negotiation process successfully
– Be able to present their case effectively and avoid negotiating pitfalls
Associated GMC Generic Professional Capabilities (GPC)
Domain 1: Professional values and behaviours
– Managing time and resources effectively
Domain 2: Professional Skills (Communication and interpersonal skills)
– Establishing an effective and respectful doctor-patient partnership with the ability to demonstrate empathy and compassion
– Demonstrating effective consultation skills, including effective verbal and non-verbal interpersonal skills
– Sharing decision making by informing the patient, prioritising the patient’s wishes, and respecting the patient’s concerns and expectations
– Demonstrating active listening skills
– Demonstrating cultural and social awareness
– Effectively managing challenging conversations or consultations
– Exploring and resolving diagnostic and management challenges or differences
– Applying management and team-working skills appropriately. Including influencing, negotiating, continuously re-assessing priorities and effectively managing complex, dynamic situations
– Maintaining appropriate situational awareness and sensitivity to the impact of their comments and behaviours on others
Domain 5: Capabilities in leadership and team working
– Demonstrating an understanding of a range of leadership principles, approaches and techniques, and applying them in practice
– Demonstrating appropriate leadership behaviour and an ability to adapt their leadership behaviour to improve engagement and outcomes
– Appreciating their leadership style and its impact on others
– Actively participating and contributing to the work and success of a team (appropriate followership)
– Thinking critically about decision-making, reflecting on decision-making processes and explaining those decisions to others in an honest and transparent way
– Wessex training grade doctors and Wessex SAS/Specialty grade doctors are funded by HEE Wessex, so no study leave claims will be necessary for course fees.
– Other delegates are required to pay a nominal fee.
Cancellation penalties may apply. Please refer to the HEE Accent Course Manager Cancellation and Refund Policy.